DO YOU THINK THE FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO CONTINUE TO EXPAND IN TACOMA?
IF YOUR ANSWER IS A RESOUNDING NO, YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
Let's get the message to City Council and the Planning Commission:
BUILD THE PORT OF THE FUTURE, NOT OF THE PAST!
Take Action Now: bit.ly/PEWTacoma
...or write Mayor Woodards – sample letter below:
For the past three years, the City of Tacoma has refused to limit fossil fuel expansion despite huge numbers of residents coming to testify at their hearings. In May, the Council will be voting on the future of fossil fuels in Tacoma - help us tell them that there are enough as it is and to stop further expansion.
Sample message: My name is ________ and I’m a resident here in Tacoma. I absolutely believe that fossil fuels should no longer be able to expand in our city. Please take action to safeguard our air and our future by voting to ban expansion. Since you have recognized the nature of the climate crisis we all face, this is the next logical step to take. Thank you.
Five reasons to say NO to fossil fuel expansion in the Port of Tacoma:
1. Oil terminals create almost no local jobs. Let’s grow our port in ways that support workers.
2. Pollution hot spots are dirtying the air and water in our poorest communities.
Let’s make our industry healthy for everyone.
3. Building new fossil fuel infrastructure when we are trying to cut back emissions is a waste. Let’s expand clean energy infrastructure and prepare our port for the future.
4. Fossil fuel facilities can cause dangerous explosions in earthquakes or other natural disasters. Let’s say no to Tacoma – or anywhere – being made a sacrifice zone.
5. Tacoma has declared a "climate emergency". It’s time to act!
Learn more about the Tideflats planning process and take action: bit.ly/PEWTacoma
Tacoma can do better. Let’s build the port of tomorrow, today.